Thursday, February 25, 2016

Psst, what's in that bag?



So I've been carrying around this colorful bag that I bought in Thailand to work with me everyday along with my usual handbag after returning from maternity leave.






Wondering what's inside?
  • Medela Freestyle Pump
  • Handsfree bra 
  • Cooler bag with ice pack
  • 2 medela milk bottles 
If you are not interested in a long boring story on pumping then read no further! You have been warned...
So I guess this makes me a so called "work and pump" mom. I wanted to make sure that Jude continued to have breastmilk while I was away at work so I just made sure to pump on a daily basis the equivalent of the milk that she consumed. She would typically have three 5oz bottles of milk while I was away. That equated to me pumping 3 times a day; in the morning before heading to work, at work and then at night before bed.

Jude has just turned 1 and this 1 year I have to say that I really bonded with this little palm size pump. I have used it in a lot of unexpected locations ...  in the sky (on a plane) on the ground (train, car) at sea (on a boat) ... haven't managed to take it underwater diving!  The reason that it was so necessary for me to pump in all those locations was not just to collect milk , in some cases I just dumped it, but it could get really uncomfortable if I went long hours between feeds or pump sessions. I also tend to get blocked ducts quite easily so I just wanted to keep that in check.
Now that Jude is 1 I have decided to discontinue my relationship with my pump, yes! Finally! And I must say that I feel somewhat liberated to be walking around not worrying about how or when or where I'm going to be pumping. I literally feel lighter not carrying my colourful bag around town with me. I have now replaced Jude's bottle feeds with full fat cow's milk and she gets to nurse from me whenever I'm around. I still need to figure out how and when I'm going to wean her completely but I expect it to be gradual over this year.


Here are some useful links on:
Milk storage : http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/milkstorage.html
Traveling : http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/travel_recommendations.htm
Work and pump: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/bf-links-pumping/

*Note: this post was drafted over a year ago, we have long since weaned from breastfeeding :)


No comments: