Sunday, May 25, 2014

I like coconut in my food...


We all have silly moments that we remember many years later.

I remember during one of my master's classes we were asked to go around introducing ourselves and  mention something special about ourselves. For some reason, I could not think of anything at all that was special about me when it was my turn to introduce myself. So the professor continued on and said that she would come back to me (as I wishfully hoped she would just forget coming back to me - and didn't bother giving it much thought).


Contrary to my expectation, she caught me off guard when she came back to ask what I thought was special about myself. The person right before me mentioned that he was allergic to strawberries, so my thought process went directly to food and all I could think of was " I like coconut in my food.." Lol, I ended up feeling really silly and had my friends laugh at me about that to this day.


Well fast forward 6 years later, and not only do I still love coconut in my food, its the up and coming superfood! Yay, coconut!


From coconut water, to coconut milk to virgin coconut oil, its all good stuff! My husband isn't a fan of the aroma of coconut oil when I stir fry my veggies because it confuses him since he typically associates coconut oil with a greasy head. MMM, I love it.

Although it contains saturated fats, majority are in the form of lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid said to reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase good cholesterol (HDL). Other claimed benefits include antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral properties.


I like including coconut milk with its other fatty friend the avocado to make smoothies, here's one of the blends I enjoy. 




Avo-coco smoothie 
1/2 cup coconut milk (canned or whatever form you prefer)
1 avocado
1 cup crushed ice
water to blend
sweeten with honey
toss in some frozen banana chunks if you like

Blend to desired sweetness and consistency and enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks yummy......I'm loving the posts Saada...

Candid, honest and a little scary for a non-mommy like me ;) But it's gonna save me the trouble of obsessive googling when I am a mom. So great going luv! Keep it up :)

* L said...

Yummy love coconuts too!!